- Academics & Programs
- Faculty & Staff
- Tuition & Aid
- News & Events
Skokie Public Library Internship 2017-18
Skokie Public Library and Dominican University Internship Program
Do you want real work experience before graduating? Come join this award-winning library to participate in a designed learning experience that will give your library career a jump start. We’re looking for a group of interns who will go through this experience together between September 2017 and May 2018 (10-15 hours per week). Full tuition scholarships are offered for this full-year appointment, which includes a practicum (LIS 799) in the fall and an independent study (LIS 801) in the spring. Earn 6 hours of course credit at no tuition cost.
Each intern will have the opportunity to specialize in one of the following areas. Please specify which area(s) of interest (in order of preference) in your cover letter.
- Help with collection development and/or cataloging/ILS projects
- Assist with digitization initiatives related to local history, library history, etc.
- Conduct data analysis of materials and usage
- Provide reference and advisory services
- Teach technology classes
- Lead book discussions and other programs
Young Adult Services
- Staff Jr. High Zone and High School Lounge serving young adults (Grades 6-12)
- Facilitate both traditional programs and drop-in activities
- Participate in hands-on learning in the BOOMbox (STEAM lab) and Digital Media Labs
Youth Services/Community Engagement
- Provide reference and advisory services in the Youth Services area
- Present storytimes and other programs in the library and out in the community
- Partner with early childhood centers, schools, and other organizations to serve children and families, including those with disabilities
Interns may also receive the following opportunities:
- Help with selection and management of collections
- Assist patrons with hands-on, experiential learning
- Learn more about serving patrons online through the library website and social media
- Work with an assigned mentor depending on career goals and interests
- Participate in regular cohort meetings with Dominican University academic advisors and Skokie Public Library mentors
- Get a sense of the operational side of public libraries
- Attend local and online workshops and conferences
We seek those who share our passion for serving the people of Skokie. We strive to reflect our community through our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities to apply. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Skokie is known for its diversity and is conveniently accessible from Chicago and surrounding neighborhoods. The Edens Expressway (I-94) spans Skokie's western edge, while Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) and PACE suburban bus lines and the CTA's Skokie Swift Yellow rail line offer numerous options for public transportation.
Apply by May 12, 2017 by sending a resume and cover letter (indicate area of interest) to Diane Foote, SOIS Assistant Dean, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact Diane via email or call (708) 524-6054 for more information.